Orlando Federal Crime Lawyer
Orlando Lawyers Defending People Throughout Florida in Federal Courts
Some federal crimes carry the same penalties as do state crimes, yet fall under federal jurisdiction and are considered to be much more serious. Typically, federal laws have harsher repercussions when breached, and federal prosecutors may be much less willing to negotiate a plea bargain. If you are a Florida resident who has been charged with a federal crime, remember that being charged is not the same thing as being convicted – an Orlando federal crime lawyer can help you to build a strong defense, contact our federal criminal defense law firm.
Federal Crimes Lawyer Serving You
The Baez Law Firm represents defendants who have been charged with a wide breadth of federal crimes. Some of the most common federal crimes include, but are not limited to:
- Drug offenses. Nearly any drug crime can end up in the federal system because possession, distribution, and trafficking of all drugs are a violation of (most) state and federal laws. Drug crimes become serious when they are trafficked, particularly across borders, or when possessed in very large amounts. Trafficking of drugs can result in a sentence of life in prison in the most severe of cases.
- Tax violations. Committing any sort of intentional tax fraud or violation is an illegal activity, and can have serious consequences depending upon the type of tax violation committed, as well as the amount of money involved. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has published Related Statutes and Penalties – General Fraud, to describe crimes and associated penalties. One law reads that “Any person who willfully attempts to evade or defeat any tax imposed by this title…shall be guilty of a felony…” and that the penalties may include up to five years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000 (for individuals), or both.
- Organized Crime. Organized crime refers to a group of individuals or enterprises who, through criminal acts, seek money and profit. The FBI states that today, organized crime includes Russian mobsters, African groups, Asian crime rings, and more.
- Fraud. Fraud is an overarching term that may refer to a number of more specific criminal acts. Mail and wire fraud, securities fraud, Medicare and Medicaid fraud, and more. Penalties range depending upon the specific crime, but may include prison, fines, or probation.
- Child pornography. Possession, receipt, distribution, transportation, and reproduction of child pornography are all federal crimes, all of which – with the exception of possession – carry a five year minimum sentence.
- Money laundering. Simply put, money laundering means taking money that is obtained from criminal activity and presenting it as being acquired lawfully. Typically, a business is established or used to conceal funds.
- Counterfeiting and forgery. Counterfeiting and forgery refer to the creation of false documents, currency, or the like.
Advocating For Your Rights When You Are Charged with a Crime
The above crimes carry serious penalties if convicted. To improve your chances of having the charges against you significantly reduced, work with Orlando federal criminal defense lawyers of the Baez Law Firm. We will provide you with superior representation, and will always put your interests first. Call us today to schedule a free case consultation at 800-588-BAEZ. Spanish services are available. Let our Orlando federal crime lawyer help you.